AFM Safecoat Interior Wall Paints
AFM Safecoat is like "the Godfather" of the green coating industry. Founded over 30 years ago specifically for chemically sensitive customers, AFM has become a leader in healthy high performance paints, stains, finishes, sealers and specialty coatings.
Safecoat paint formulas are uniquely designed for optimal indoor air quality while achieving beautiful and durable finishes. They are ideally suited for areas in which the health of occupants is of particular concern, including schools, hospitals, homes and offices.
Use on: walls, ceilings, wallboard, properly cured and primed plaster, masonry and primed metal.
- Features:No VOCs, formaldehyde, ammonia, crystalline silica, ethylene glycol, aromatic hydrocarbon compounds, exempt solvents or hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). Additionally, the colorants we use in our paints have low/no VOCs nor Alkylphenol Ethoxylates (APE), which are surfactants (detergents) which can be oestrogenic (hormone disrupting) and bioaccumulative in the environment (meaning they don't break down and increase concentration up the food chain).
- Low odor during application (which is typically not noxious or bothersome) and are odor free once cured.
- Fights indoor air pollution, mitigatesoutgassing from the substrate (including recent coats of conventional paint).
- Meets or exceeds all federal and state air quality regulations, including California.
- SCS Certified for Indoor Advantage Gold
Use the box below to enter your desired color. Please include the color name, color number, and fandeck/source (ie., "Color Is", Mythic, Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc). Click "Add to Cart" individually for each color.
* indicates a required field
- Flat: use where very low sheen is needed. This is best for areas that may need touching up over time or for walls that are uneven or textured (as higher sheens will show unevenness more).
- Pearl: use where a soft sheen is needed. Just a smidge more sheen than Flat.
- Eggshell: where a medium sheen finish is needed. Colors will be deeper and more vibrant. This is more washable than a Flat or Pearl. Very popular for kids bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and gathering rooms.
- Semigloss: where a moderately high sheen finish is needed. This is typically used on doors, trim, moldings, and walls in fullbathrooms and other areas likely to get wet. It is the most washable, but not as easy to touch-up/repair without noticing a patch.
Coverage: approximately 350 square feet per gallon in one coat depending on surface porosity. Two coats are recommended, like with any typical high-quality paint for full color opacity and depth, and coating coverage. Untreated new drywall will require several coats--instead, prime with New Wallboard HPV Primer. Other surfaces needing priming (such as oil-based painted surfaces, dark colors being painted over with light colors, or if the new paint will be a very dark/accent color) should be primed with Transitional Primer.
Dry/Cure Time: Under normal conditions, it dries to the touch in one hour. Wait at least four hours before applying each additional coat--longer if rainy or high humidity conditions prevail. Normal conditions include a dry surface, access to fresh air flow, moderate humidity, and temperatures above 55 degrees F. Thick application, high humidity or conditions other than normal will cause Safecoat to dry and cure more slowly. Diluting the paint about 10% with clean water may help with high humidity or high temperature conditions, or other unusual situations.